The Irkutsk Regional Museum of Local Lore, located on Karl Marx Street, is a state autonomous cultural institution in the Irkutsk region. The museum has seven exhibition departments, including the history department, the nature department, the Window to Asia exhibition department, the Museum Studio exhibition department, the Angara icebreaker, the V.G. Rasputin, Cultural and Educational Center in the village of Anga. There is also a methodological department, a department of marketing and information activities, a research and fund department and a library. The museum provides a tour desk, offering walking and bus tours of the city and its surroundings. With an annual attendance of up to 300 thousand people, the museum organizes exhibitions and displays.
A webcam overlooking the Alexander III monument allows you to observe this historical place.
The museum was founded in 1782 thanks to funds raised by the governor of the Irkutsk governorship F.N. Klitschka among local nobles and merchants.
In 1879, a fire occurred in Irkutsk, which resulted in the loss of a significant part of the city, including the museum and library buildings. The new museum building was built at the intersection of Bolshaya and Naberezhnaya streets. Its opening took place on November 6 (18), 1883, and the date of foundation of the building was engraved on the facade – 1883 (on the right it was written Year, from 1891 – 1891).