The first and only maternity hospital in Ligatna was built in 1897 at the expense of Wilhelm Mentzendorf. Wilhelm Metzendorf was a shareholder in a paper mill in Ligatne.
The maternity hospital was quite small, 6 mothers with children could be there at the same time.
There was an interesting tradition here, if a boy was born, then a blue flag was hung out, and if a girl, then a red one.
Now the building is for sale.