Linlithgow, located in West Lothian, Scotland, holds historical significance as the former county town of West Lothian, known as Linlithgowshire. This ancient town is positioned in the Central Belt along a historical pathway connecting Edinburgh and Falkirk, adjacent to Linlithgow Loch. Approximately 32 km to the west lies the capital city of Edinburgh.
During the medieval era, Linlithgow flourished as a significant royal burgh and a residence centered around Linlithgow Palace. In later periods, it evolved into an industrial hub, particularly known for leather production and other materials. The Victorian era saw substantial growth propelled by the Union Canal’s opening in the 1820s and the introduction of the railway in 1842.
Though it no longer holds the status of the county town (now replaced by Livingston), Linlithgow remains an essential hub, with its economy now primarily focusing on hospitality, heritage, and tourism services. Saint Michael is honored as Linlithgow’s patron saint, and its motto is “St. Michael is kind to strangers.” A statue of this saint holding the burgh coat of arms stands proudly on the High Street. As of 2019, the population of the broader Linlithgow ward, encompassing the town and its surroundings, was recorded at 16,499 residents.