The Catholic church was built in the year of the liberation of the city from the 200-year rule of the Ottoman Empire. After the expulsion of the Ottomans in 1687, one of the mosques was converted into a Christian church and consecrated in honor of St. Jerome, the patron saint of the city.
As a result of a landslide, this temple was destroyed. It was decided to build a new, more spacious temple. Only the bell tower , standing slightly to the side, has been preserved from the old church.