Flensburg, situated in the northern part of the German state of Schleswig-Holstein, is an independent town. It is the northernmost town in the Schleswig region and is the third-largest town in Schleswig-Holstein, following Kiel and Lübeck.
Flensburg’s city center is approximately 7 km away from the Danish border.
In Germany, Flensburg is well-known for several things, including:
- The Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt, which houses the Verkehrssünderkartei, a registry where records of traffic offenses are maintained.
- The locally brewed beer known as Flensburger Pilsener or simply “Flens.”
- Being the hub of the Danish national minority in Germany.
- The common local greeting, “Moin.”
- The presence of notable erotic mail-order companies, Beate Uhse and Orion.
- The renowned handball team, SG Flensburg-Handewitt.
- The Naval Academy located at Mürwik.
- Serving as the last seat of the Third Reich from May 1, 1945, following Adolf Hitler’s death, until the formal dissolution of the Third Reich in early June 1945.