Webcam on Costa da Caparica
Costa da Caparica is a civil parish in Portugal, located in the municipality of Almada on the west coast of the Setúbal district. On an area of 10.18 km2 in 2011, about 13,418 people lived here. The urban hierarchy of Portugal has recognized the Costa da Caparica as a city since December 9, 2004.
According to legend, in 1800 the first limestone stone house was built here – Casa da Coroa. This house has been given a lot of importance due to a little known fact.
History claims that in 1824, the king of Portugal João VI tasted an amazing seafood stew, after which the royal coat of arms was placed on the local fountain.
It was also a supposed stop on the journeys of Queen Mary II of Portugal and King Pedro V and their royal consorts, who, for unrelated reasons, passed through the Costa da Caparica.
The territory underwent changes: until 1926 it was part of the parish of Caparica, and then it was part of Trafaria until 1949. The urban agglomeration was recognized as a city on July 9, 1985, and received city status on December 9, 2004.
This parish is the only fregesia in Almada that has not changed its status as a result of the 2013 administrative reform.