The Nomentana Battery now occupies a site along Via Nomentana, which was historically part of the Entrenched Camp surrounding Rome.
This military area currently comprises two barracks: the “E. Bianchi” Barracks, accessible from Via Nomentana 274, serving as the headquarters for the Army Logistics Command, and the “C. Amione” Barracks, accessible from Via della Batteria Nomentana and the Nomentana ring road, now housing the Interforce Maneuver Regiment.
The construction of the Nomentana Battery took place from 1884 to 1890, with an expenditure of £600,000. Positioned to the right of the road bearing the same name, the battery was set behind adjacent forts and was responsible for safeguarding the Aniene river and its broad valley.
The battery’s layout resembles an irregular pentagon, with a “salient” outer side and a straight throat side. It features a powder magazine with a dual entrance leading to the moat, located on the right side of the drawbridge, as well as a spring water well.